Saturday 7 May 2016

Lime is better than concrete



If you make your stone house with lime mortar and plaster, they say it will "breathe," but what they really must mean is that the lime absorbs the water when you breathe overnight, then releases it later in the day, like when the fire is on or so.

But when you sleep in a little concrete house, the windows will get all fogged up. 

We now know this for an experienced fact! The dairy was limed, and our little cottage now is concrete.

It's kind of fun, as Yarrow was just doing the part in the book about hydrated compounds in chemistry yesterday. Funny how that works out, isn't it? It's too bad that I don't have any copper sulfate to show him the reactions properly.


More to write, but too busy to do it just now.


I know this post could be a million times better with photos. Sorry for the lack. I'd better get back to stack firewood. (I admit, I've been frittering away my time in the pub here chatting when I came to pay my IOU).

No comments:

Post a Comment